Hi

Welcome to Azariah's Adventures N Fibre! Come see what is happening in the studio! Knitting, crocheting, spinning and dying. Come on in!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rhubarb and Logwood

Well while the cochineal is curing, lets do something else.  Rhubarb leaves and Logwood.

Yesterday my friend brought these rhubarb leaves to me for use with dying.  These are drying.  I froze some others, used 3 for this session and still have some left over.

I boiled them in a covered pot for 30 minutes.  When I removed the leaves, I put them in a ziplock bag and the threw them away.  My dye book says the are poisonous and not to breathe the vapors either.  So I also wore a mask.

Take the water from the pot for wetting out the yarn and add it to the rhubarb juice.  Then add the yarn.  This cools the boiled water down to a point where the yarn won't object to the temperature change.



Replaced the lid and turned the heat back on.  Simmered for one hour and left over night with the lid on.

Also over night I soaked my logwood in a jar of water and wet out the yarn for it.

The logwood was measured, in grams, on a scale.  I didn't use my entire packet.

This morning I rinsed that rhubarb yarn and hung it on the line.

Then I boiled the logwood for 20 minutes, strained, added more water and boiled again.


I put the 2 batches of water in the pot and added the water from wetting out and then the yarn.  I put the lid on, turned the heat on simmered for 45 minutes.  I have now shut the heat off, leaving the lid on and will find out tomorrow what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment